Sunday, June 22, 2008

No Place Like Home

How often have you found yourself in a face-off with your parents? Demanding your (so-called) independence you've worked hard for and counting down the days till you're able to live alone by studying abroad? As the wise man once said, "Becareful what you wish for."

I'm writing based on my own experience and many of others whom I am closely aquainted with. We may not have stormed out of a room screaming in anger (I did but then again, I'm a self-proclaimed drama queen) but we were surely under the impression that the grass was greener on the other side with a lot more space to run around freely.

I went to Australia to further my studies by myself at the age of 15 but I was back home within a year. No, I didn't become a wild-crazy-outta-control teenager, I just felt like I was missing out on so much back home..Something that I was not ready to sacrifice.

My cousin's engagement(the very first!), family holidays & vacations, birthdays, the good variety of food at a reasonable price and shops that were still open after 5p.m. Basically, i was just home sick!

One of the things i missed most about home was the weather. Shocking but true! I use to complain (and now I still do) but at least I didn't need to change my wardrobe every 3 months as the weather changed.

Oriental food back home was simply the best.. It actually tasted good (one cendol i bought in Perth nearly gave me diabetes with just one sip, I kid you not!), it came in big portions and we were not at all over charged for it.

Back home, I didn't have to worry about being organized and getting things done. Being the youngest of three siblings and the only girl(no I'm not spoiled or pampered), I had my parents and brothers contantly reminding me of what was to be done but things were usually taken care of.. Life was rather carefree. I could get things done at the 11th hour without any worry as shops were (luckily!) open till late.

I won't deny the fact that studying abroad did have its advantages. I grew up so much as an individual, emotionally and mentally. I became more responsible and organised; I even developed a more matured perspective on life.

I made friends from all around the world and participated more in school activities. I even enjoyed school more academically as the education was far more student-friendly as we had the opportunity to choose from a wider range of subjects.

Therefore, you would understand that I'm not out to discourage anyone from studying abroad. I'm just pointing out the good things in life we don't know we have until it's gone.

So often we fail to realise that with freedom comes responsibility and when we're on our own, we face the consequences of our choices on our own.

Just remember not to be in too much of a rush to grow up, you have all your life to do so. Until then, feel free to be young and crazy, but don't forget to appreciate the little things in life while you're at it.

Yours Truly,
SNF

No comments: